“Middletown” got the jump on “Newtown” and formed a Chamber of Commerce in February 1917. Its first official act was to offer a building site to the newly-formed Houston Bank and Trust Company. This building came into being shortly after. These buildings were called “shotgun shacks.” Crudely constructed, rough frame buildings without interior walls, it was a straight shot from the front door to the back. This is a payday and we see the drillers and roughnecks dressed up in their Sunday best, milling around waiting for their pay. These buildings are facing south on West Main Street across the street from where the old city hall stands.